Grigor Dimitrov: Queen’s Title, A Step Forward
On Sunday, Grigor Dimitrov won his first ATP title on grass courts, and his fourth one in total.
In a marathon final, the Bulgarian defeated Feliciano Lopez 6:7, 7:6, 7:6 at the Aegon Championships in Queen’s Club, London.
After the match, Dimitrov shared his emotions in front of the press.
“I am extremely happy about this win. I knew it would not be easy against Feliciano, especially on a fast court like this. This is one of the tournaments I love. Since I have been coming here as a kid, I’ve always dreamed of winning it. Now, to hold the cup, it feels so real. You sense the whole spirit of the trophy. After this, I can go into Wimbledon with lots of optimism”, the 23-year-old champion commented.
“When I was down a match ball, I was not the most calm person in the world, but I fought with all my strength. I gave it all I had left”, Dimitrov added.
The young Bulgarian thanked his girlfriend Maria Sharapova and his coaching team for their support.
“It’s great when the pieces of the puzzle start coming together. My team is on top level, and so is the support from Maria. I sincerely thank her for being here. Yes, men’s and women’s tennis is very different, but to have a champion like her next to you, there is plenty to learn.”
Dimitrov displayed maturity and character, showing no signs of flying in the clouds after his win.
“For me, the title at Queen’s is a step forward. However, my goals remain very high, so I would not call it a breakthrough. I’ve achieved a lot, but there is much more ahead”, the champion stated philosophically.
- » Stoichkov Donates Ballon d'Or, Golden Shoe Replicas to CSKA Sofia Museum
- » Bulgaria's CSKA, Levski Have Last Chance to Repay Debts, Secure Licences
- » John Isner Beats Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 6-2 in Miami Masters
- » Bulgarian Declared Best Libero as Zenit Wins Volleyball Champions League
- » Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov Proceeds With Ease to Third Round in Miami
- » Bulgaria Repeats Its World Cup 2014 Qualification Performance Against Italy