Fire Erupts at Ammunition Storage Site near Bulgaria's Kazanlak
A fire has broken out at weapons and ammunition storage site near the village of Buzovgrad, Kazanlak district.
The storage facilities are part of the Arsenal weapons factory, according to Mihail Yanushev, Mayor of Buzovgrad, as cited by the Focus news agency.
Teams of firefighters have brought the situation under control and there is no threat for the local population.
Local correspondents of the Bulgarian National Television reported about explosions which could be seen and heard from a long distance. The blasts were said to have started slightly before 9 pm and by 10.20 pm they had stopped.
According to Nova TV, the storage facility only contains chemicals and no weapons.
There have been no reports of victims so far.
The area has been sealed off and the investigating authorities are seeking to establish the cause of the accidents and to evaluate the damage.
- » First Festival of Italian Cinema to Begin in Sofia on Tuesday
- » Confidence in Bulgarian President Reaches Its Lowest Since Start of Term – Poll
- » Bulgaria's President Pays Tribute to Victims of Communist Rule
- » Worker Dies in Blast in Bulgaria's Arsenal
- » Bulgarian Is Spoken by 15 Million People Worldwide
- » EU Commission Office in Sofia Evacuated over Fire