Heroin worth EUR 30 M Seized by Greek Authorities
Over 1 ton of heroin worth over EUR 30 M was seized Friday near Athens in a joint operation of Greek police and coast guard and the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
The authorities also arrested 11 suspected traffickers, including six Greek nationals and five foreign nationals (four Turkish nationals and two Iranian nationals), according to local news agencies, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio.
A big businessman involved in shipping, as well as his wife and his 15-year-old son, were said to be among the ones who were arrested.
According to preliminary information, the heroin arrived in Greece via Turkey, and was then concealed in marble dust shipments at the warehouses before being distributed to the Greek and European market.
The heroin was discovered at two warehouses.
Greek Merchant Marine Minister Miltiadis Varvitsiotis announced that it was the largest quantity of heroin ever seized in the country.
- » Greece Repays First Installment Worth EUR 310 M of IMF Loan
- » Nemtsov's Girlfriend 'Received Death Threats'
- » Putin Slashes Russian Government Salaries by 10%
- » Russia's Navalny Freed from Detention
- » IS Militants Bulldozed Iraq's Ancient City of Nimrud
- » UK's Hammond States EU Readiness for New Sanctions against Russia