Lack of Funding Hinders Construction of Sofia Metro Third Line
The construction of the third line of the Sofia metro may be delayed, due to the lack of funding, the city mayor Yordanka Fandakova told Bulgarian National Radio.
Currently, there is no approval of funding or an agreement between the Bulgarian state and the European Commission, Fandakova said.
"The European Commission has once again returned the proposed draft agreement with the government. We are waiting for their approval, so that at last our country can take advantage of this very serious financial resource," Fandakova explained.
In May 2014, the CEO of Sofia Metropolitan company Stoyan Bratoev announced that the extensions of the already functioning Sofia metro lines were 75% ready.
The line to the Sofia Airport will be operational in the beginning of 2015. The work on the metro station there has already started.
Bratoev said he expects that the extension of the first metro line to the airport would carry additional 60 000 passengers daily.
The extension from the Mladost residential district to the Business Park district is also nearly completed.
Currently the Sofia metro has two lines with 27 stations and carries around 320 000 passengers daily.
- » Bulgaria's Energoremont Signs Equipment Rehab Deal with Mini Maritsa Iztok
- » Minimum Retirement Pension Up To BGN 180
- » The Total Business Climate Indicator in Bulgaria Decreases by 0.7% for June 2017
- » Apha Research: Most of the Bulgarians Get News on Websites and Social Media Networks
- » Regional Health Inspection: Sea Water on all Beaches in Varna is Clean
- » Gas Price Will Rise by 2% as of 1st of July