Almost 40% of Bulgarians Drive 20+ Year-Old Vehicles
The motor vehicles registered in Bulgaria as of end-April were 3,573,616, and the valid driving licenses – 4,660,599, according to the latest data from the traffic police.
Of that number, 66,619 vehicles have been taken off the road. In case of stricter control, their number would increase greatly since 39% of the registered vehicles are over 20 years old, Dnevnik reports. Some 30% of all motor vehicles have been manufactured 16-20 years ago, and just 4% of them are new.
According to the statistics, more than 70% of all heavy traffic accidents involve vehicles older than 10 years. In 2013, a total of 249,742 cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles have got initial registration, of which only 28,680 were brand new.
For the first quarter of 2014 some 50,962 'second hand' vehicles and 7406 new ones have been imported, according to Bulgaria's traffic police.
- » Renovated 'Festivalna Hall' Now is Called 'Asics Arena'
- » School Year in Bulgaria - Now - One Week Longer
- » HBO Announces 5-Part Miniseries on Chornobyl Accident
- » Bansko Will Host The International Jazz Festival 2017 in August
- » Code Orange Weather Alert for 8 Districts in Bulgaria
- » 2 Dead After German Army Helicopter Crashes in Mali on UN Mission