Almost 40% of Bulgarians Drive 20+ Year-Old Vehicles
The motor vehicles registered in Bulgaria as of end-April were 3,573,616, and the valid driving licenses – 4,660,599, according to the latest data from the traffic police.
Of that number, 66,619 vehicles have been taken off the road. In case of stricter control, their number would increase greatly since 39% of the registered vehicles are over 20 years old, Dnevnik reports. Some 30% of all motor vehicles have been manufactured 16-20 years ago, and just 4% of them are new.
According to the statistics, more than 70% of all heavy traffic accidents involve vehicles older than 10 years. In 2013, a total of 249,742 cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles have got initial registration, of which only 28,680 were brand new.
For the first quarter of 2014 some 50,962 'second hand' vehicles and 7406 new ones have been imported, according to Bulgaria's traffic police.
- » Bulgaria's SAC Revokes Fingerprint Identification for Hospital Patients
- » MIHALKOVO: the Only Company For Naturally Aerated Water in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Marks World Theater Day with Ikar Awards
- » Bulgaria Switches Back to Daylight Saving Time on Sunday Morning
- » Orthodox Bulgaria Celebrates Annunciation
- » Earth Hour Campaign Will be Marked For The 10th Time