Almost 40% of Bulgarians Drive 20+ Year-Old Vehicles
The motor vehicles registered in Bulgaria as of end-April were 3,573,616, and the valid driving licenses – 4,660,599, according to the latest data from the traffic police.
Of that number, 66,619 vehicles have been taken off the road. In case of stricter control, their number would increase greatly since 39% of the registered vehicles are over 20 years old, Dnevnik reports. Some 30% of all motor vehicles have been manufactured 16-20 years ago, and just 4% of them are new.
According to the statistics, more than 70% of all heavy traffic accidents involve vehicles older than 10 years. In 2013, a total of 249,742 cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles have got initial registration, of which only 28,680 were brand new.
For the first quarter of 2014 some 50,962 'second hand' vehicles and 7406 new ones have been imported, according to Bulgaria's traffic police.
- » 4 People Dead, 15 Injured in Road Accidents During the Past Day
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » 3 People Dead, 23 Injured in Road Accidents During Past Day
- » 100 Bulgarian Books Were Introduced to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C
- » Bulgarian Christians Celebrate Ascension of Christ
- » International Poetry Festival Begins Today in Plovdiv