Afghan Leading Presidential Candidate Survives Bomb Attack
A suicide bomber struck the convoy of Abdullah Abdullah, the front-runner in the first round of Afghanistan's presidential election, near the capital Kabul.
Four civilians were killed in the explosion and some of Abdullah's guards were wounded, but the candidate himself has no injuries, as Al-Jazeera English reports citing a televised statement he made shortly after the incident.
A "sticky bomb" triggered a second explosion after the first blast by a suicide bomber in a car. According to the Afghan Interior Ministry the death toll of the attack could rise.
No group has so far taken responsibility.
Abdullah, who also served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan between 2001 and 2005, is to stand again at the run-off on June 14 against Ashraf Ghani.
- » Turkey Won’t Amend Anti-terror Laws in Return for Visa Deal, Erdogan Tells EU
- » Ján Figeľ to Serve as EU Commission Envoy on Freedom of Religion
- » Almost 185,000 Migrants Entered Europe by Sea so far in 2016: IOM
- » Stagnant Eurozone Economy to Hamper Growth in CESEE Region, IMF Says
- » Russia Still Ready to Build Gas Pipeline to Southern Europe, Lavrov Says
- » Bulgaria Signs Protocol on EU’s Readmission Agreement with Turkey