Israeli Airlines Aircraft Makes Forced Landing at Sofia Airport
A passenger plane of the El Al Israeli airlines flying to Munich made a forced landing at Sofia Airport Thursday morning due to the aggressive behavior of one of the passengers.
According to sources from the airline company, as cited by Israeli media outlets and the Bulgarian National Radio, the passenger attacked one of the crew members.
A witness was quoted as saying that the passenger had suddenly risen from his seat, ran down the aisle, started banging on the bathroom door and shouting "terrorists are hiding here."
The aircraft was granted permission to land at Sofia Airport where the aggressive passenger was taken out.
He was detained by the local authorities and is to be sent to Israel under escort.
The press office of Sofia Airport confirmed that an aircraft of El Al had made a forced landing but did not comment on the reasons behind the measure.
The man was subsequently reported to be an Austrian national who had been traveling alone.
Border Police officers and security officials of Sofia Airport are working on the case.
- » Magnitude-3.0 Earthquake Shakes Bulgaria’s Smolyan Region
- » Bulgaria Warns of Potentially Dangerous Rainfall in Burgas Region
- » Female Body Found on Beach in Bulgaria's Chernomorets
- » Translation of Bulgarian Novel Goes to 2016 PEN Prize Finals
- » Bulgarians among Injured as Bus Tumbles Over in Macedonia
- » Bulgarian Helsinki Committee: Penal System Discriminates Women