MEP Mariya Gabriel Becomes EPP Group Deputy Chair
Bulgarian MEP Mariya Gabriel, who won in May a second term in the European Parliament, has been elected Deputy Chair of the European People's Party (EPP) group.
The announcement was made in a message by the EPP Group on Wednesday, days after Gabriel became the head of GERB's delegation into the European Parliament.
Gabriel said she considered the choice by EPP members to be "a recognition of the active role that GERB plays in the biggest European political family."
It is also "a recognition of the convincing victory at the European elections in Bulgaria," which "contributed to another victory for EPP in Europe," she added.
Mariya Gabriel assumes the position after the EPP group elected its previous Vice-Chariman, Manfred Weber, as new Chairman at its session on Wednesday.
- » Bulgaria's Bokova Enters Politico's List of People 'Shaking the World'
- » Bulgaria Calls on EU Commission to Prepare for Possible Migrant Inflow from Turkey
- » Bulgaria Joins European Public Law Organization
- » Bulgaria Faces 'Genuine Threat of Radicalization' - MEP
- » Bulgaria's VP-Elect Sparks New Row over Migrant Reception Centers
- » Bulgaria PM Leaves EU Commissioner Choice to Interim Govt