MEP Mariya Gabriel Becomes EPP Group Deputy Chair
Bulgarian MEP Mariya Gabriel, who won in May a second term in the European Parliament, has been elected Deputy Chair of the European People's Party (EPP) group.
The announcement was made in a message by the EPP Group on Wednesday, days after Gabriel became the head of GERB's delegation into the European Parliament.
Gabriel said she considered the choice by EPP members to be "a recognition of the active role that GERB plays in the biggest European political family."
It is also "a recognition of the convincing victory at the European elections in Bulgaria," which "contributed to another victory for EPP in Europe," she added.
Mariya Gabriel assumes the position after the EPP group elected its previous Vice-Chariman, Manfred Weber, as new Chairman at its session on Wednesday.
- » PM Borisov, PES Leader Discuss Migrant Crisis, Bulgaria's Schengen Accession
- » Two Bulgarians Get Jail Terms in Sweden for Running Begging Scheme
- » Bulgaria Urges EU to Help Normalize Traffic at Border with Greece
- » Bulgaria to Contribute EUR 50 000 to EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa
- » Avramopoulos: Bulgaria's Border Guarding Efforts Are Key to European Stability
- » EU Migration Commissioner to Visit Bulgaria's Elhovo