MEP Mariya Gabriel Becomes EPP Group Deputy Chair
Bulgarian MEP Mariya Gabriel, who won in May a second term in the European Parliament, has been elected Deputy Chair of the European People's Party (EPP) group.
The announcement was made in a message by the EPP Group on Wednesday, days after Gabriel became the head of GERB's delegation into the European Parliament.
Gabriel said she considered the choice by EPP members to be "a recognition of the active role that GERB plays in the biggest European political family."
It is also "a recognition of the convincing victory at the European elections in Bulgaria," which "contributed to another victory for EPP in Europe," she added.
Mariya Gabriel assumes the position after the EPP group elected its previous Vice-Chariman, Manfred Weber, as new Chairman at its session on Wednesday.
- » Financial Supervision Commission Chair, ECB Vice-President Discuss Troubled Bulgarian Bank KTB
- » EU to Unfreeze Payments Under Environment OP in Two Weeks
- » Public Transport In Sofia Cheapest In EU Capitals
- » New EU Food Label Requirements Come Into Effect In December
- » Bulgaria Increasingly Likely to Lose EUR 1.6B in EU Agriculture Funding
- » Bulgaria Should Brace for ‘Not Quite Positive’ EC Progress Report – Caretaker Minister