Russia Claims the French Frigate Surcouf is Spying on Crimea
The French frigate Surcouf conducts electronic reconnaissance of military facilities of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, claims a Russian military source.
The source, quoted by ITAR-TASS, said the frigate, which entered the Black Sea on May 28, “is maneuvering in the northern part of the Black Sea, occasionally approaching the Crimean coast by 50 to 60 kilometers”.
“According to available data, a NATO combat ship makes electronic reconnaissance of military facilities of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, located along the coast of the peninsula, as well as major administrative and strategic facilities in the coastal area,” the source said.
Another military expert, quoted by the wire service, claimed that from a distance of around 50 km, Surcouf could “probe ground facilities and can monitor any kind of conversations, including by telephone and e-mail.”
Surcouf operates within the framework of a joint mission with the US missile cruiser Vella Gulf.
- » 60 Bulgarian Troops Continue to Assist Police in Guarding Border with Greece
- » Bulgaria Plans to Refit Two of Its Frigates
- » Bulgaria Discussing Joint NATO Maritime Group with Romania, Turkey
- » Bulgaria's Govt Backs Montenegro Accession to NATO
- » US Arms Control Official to Stop By in Bulgaria
- » NATO Launches Platinum Lion 16-3 Exercise at Bulgaria’s Novo Selo Training Range