Ukrainian Army Helicopter Shot Down, 10 Dead
Ten people died near the town of Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine after pro-Russian separatists shot down a military helicopter.
Outgoing President Oleksandr Turchynov confirmed reports that Gen Serhiy Kulchitsky, a senior National Guard general in response for combat and special training, was among the victims.
Turchynov was also quoted by UNIAN agency as saying that Russian-made equipment had been used to down the helicopter.
The vehicle targeted by rebels was carrying food for army block posts.
A heavy fighting was under way between soldiers and rebels as part of what the Kiev leadership calls an "anti-terrorist" operation against activists in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions.
The incident follows last week's shooting at a government-held checkpoint near Donetsk, in which another 14 soldiers lost their lives.
It also comes after days of the bloodiest recent clashes which took place around Donetsk airport and claimed the lives of at least 30 people.
- » CoE: Grey Economy Results in Losses of EUR 40 B per year in Romania
- » Slovenia Re-Launches Privatization of 15 State-Owned Companies
- » Russia Forced to Pay USD 50 B to Former Yukos Owners
- » Romania, US to Launch Observation Flights over Russia, Belarus
- » Greek Civil Servants to Stage Strike in Athens
- » Hamas Agrees to New 24-Hour Ceasefire in Gaza