Ukrainian Army Helicopter Shot Down, 10 Dead
Ten people died near the town of Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine after pro-Russian separatists shot down a military helicopter.
Outgoing President Oleksandr Turchynov confirmed reports that Gen Serhiy Kulchitsky, a senior National Guard general in response for combat and special training, was among the victims.
Turchynov was also quoted by UNIAN agency as saying that Russian-made equipment had been used to down the helicopter.
The vehicle targeted by rebels was carrying food for army block posts.
A heavy fighting was under way between soldiers and rebels as part of what the Kiev leadership calls an "anti-terrorist" operation against activists in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions.
The incident follows last week's shooting at a government-held checkpoint near Donetsk, in which another 14 soldiers lost their lives.
It also comes after days of the bloodiest recent clashes which took place around Donetsk airport and claimed the lives of at least 30 people.
- » Kosovo Terrorists Planning Venice Attack Detained
- » Bulgaria Not Among Leading Countries In Terms of Complaints Filed at ECHR
- » Turkey Announces End of Euphrates Shield in Syria
- » UK To Set Out Plan For Converting EU Laws Into Domestic Law Post-Brexit
- » Donald Tusk to Pay Working Visit to Bulgaria
- » Greece Agrees With Creditors on Review of Rescue Programme