10 Detained For Planning Terrorist Attack on Victory Day, Russia
Russian police detained ten people suspected of plotting a terrorist attack in the Moscow region which was to be perpetrated on May 9, Victory Day.
The suspects, hailing from the North Caucasian republic of Dagestan, were residents of the Moscow region. They were detained on the morning of May 7 after an improvised explosive device was uncovered at their residence, according to a recent statement on the ministry website.
"Ahead of the May holidays, the Interior Ministry's Chief Counter-Extremism Department received reports that these people had purchased components that could be used for manufacturing a self-made explosive device, as well as other data suggesting they were possibly preparing a terrorist attack in that region," Russian Interior Ministry said, as quoted by The Moscow Times.
All detainees were arrested and are now giving confessions. The mastermind and the perpetrators of the planned terrorist attack have been identified, the ministry said.
- » Diplomats Say Russia Targets Bulgaria, 6 Other EU States in Drive to Kill Sanctions - Reuters
- » Over 250,000 Migrants Arrive in Europe by Sea in 2016 - IOM
- » Red Cross Warns of Worsening Humanitarian Situation in Iraq
- » Migrant Arrivals in Greece Increase after Failed Coup Attempt in Turkey
- » Germany to Stick to Open-Door Policy on Refugees, Chancellor Merkel Says
- » France to Form National Guard to Help Counter Terror Attacks