Some 66% of Bulgarian Beaches Boast Excellent Water Quality - EEA
All but one Bulgarian coastal bathing waters met the sufficient water quality in 2013, according to the EU Environment Agency latest data.
A total of 98.9% of all 93 coastal bathing waters in the country have met the mandatory water quality in 2013.
A vast majority of bathing waters in Bulgaria are coastal. According to national authorities, the small number of inland bathing waters is due to lack of interest by the communities to establish and maintain inland bathing waters zones according to all requirements, lack of tradition to visit such places and national legislation on Water Live Saving Service which prohibits bathing in all areas where there is no such service.
Some 66% of all bathing waters in Bulgaria have excellent water quality, the European bathing water quality in 2013 report states.
The purest coastal waters in Europe are located in Cyprus and Slovenia, while Luxemburg is the country with the best inland bathing waters. Malta, Croatia and Greece boast some of the cleanest waters, as well, with 99%, 95% and 93% of excellent water quality.
Some of the finest bathing waters can be found in Denmark and Germany, too.
Estonia is the European country with the highest rates of poor bathing water quality – 6%, followed by the Netherlands – 5%, Belgium – 4%, France, Spain and Ireland – 3%.
Overall, some 95% of all European bathing waters have met the minimum water quality, according to the report.
- » Today it Will be Mostly Sunny with Maximum Temperatures 20°-25°
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » Yellow Code For Intensive Rains and Thunders For 7 Regions
- » Yellow Code Announced for 7 Districts in Bulgaria Over Intense Rain
- » Many Clouds, Short Rains in Many Places in the Afternoon, with Thunders
- » Intensive Rains in Some Areas, Hailstorms Possible