Vitali Klitschko Elected Kiev Mayor – Exit Polls
Former heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko looks set to become the new mayor of Kiev, according to exit polls.
Klitschko, the leader of UDAR party and outspoken supporter of the Maidan protests, receives about 57% of the votes in Sunday's elections for mayor, according to exit polls.
Kiev has been run by a presidential appointee since the city's last elected mayor Leonid Chernovetsky resigned on June 1, 2012.
Initially, Klitschko had announced his plans to run for President, but later decided to run for mayor.
The new Kiev mayor and the city council are elected for less than a year and a half. According to election legislation, the next local elections will be held in the fall of 2015.
- » UK to Send Spy Drones Over Syria in Broadening of Anti-IS Campaign
- » Turkey Adopts Tough Measures Against Violation of Public Order
- » Russian State Telecom To Launch Counterpart of Skype
- » Russia 'Offered Poland Part of Ukraine' - Former FM
- » Russia to Ban Import of Animal Fat, Meat Byproducts from EU
- » First Albanian PM Visit to Serbia in 70 Years Postponed