Vitali Klitschko Elected Kiev Mayor – Exit Polls
Former heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko looks set to become the new mayor of Kiev, according to exit polls.
Klitschko, the leader of UDAR party and outspoken supporter of the Maidan protests, receives about 57% of the votes in Sunday's elections for mayor, according to exit polls.
Kiev has been run by a presidential appointee since the city's last elected mayor Leonid Chernovetsky resigned on June 1, 2012.
Initially, Klitschko had announced his plans to run for President, but later decided to run for mayor.
The new Kiev mayor and the city council are elected for less than a year and a half. According to election legislation, the next local elections will be held in the fall of 2015.
- » Turkey Conducts New Airstrikes on Suspected PKK Targets
- » Ukraine Adds Gerard Depardieu to 5-Year Blacklist
- » NATO Backs Turkey’s Fight Against ‘Terrorism’
- » Peace Process with Kurdish Militants Can’t Continue - Turkish President Erdogan
- » NATO Expresses Solidarity with Turkey over Terror Attacks
- » Gaddafi Son Saif al-Islam Sentenced to Death