Vitali Klitschko Elected Kiev Mayor – Exit Polls
Former heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko looks set to become the new mayor of Kiev, according to exit polls.
Klitschko, the leader of UDAR party and outspoken supporter of the Maidan protests, receives about 57% of the votes in Sunday's elections for mayor, according to exit polls.
Kiev has been run by a presidential appointee since the city's last elected mayor Leonid Chernovetsky resigned on June 1, 2012.
Initially, Klitschko had announced his plans to run for President, but later decided to run for mayor.
The new Kiev mayor and the city council are elected for less than a year and a half. According to election legislation, the next local elections will be held in the fall of 2015.
- » At Least 13 Killed, 20 Wounded as Explosions Hit Central Istanbul
- » South Korean President Park Impeached by Parliament
- » Turkey 'Used Imams for Data on Gulenists in Bulgaria'
- » Turkey Formally Ratifies Turkish Stream Pipeline Deal with Russia
- » Italy's PM Steps Down after Referendum Defeat
- » Far-Right Candidate Concedes Defeat in Austria's Presidential Election