DPS’s Delyan Peevski Gives up MEP Position
The controversial member of the Movement of Rights and Freedoms (DPS) Delyan Peevski announced that he would not enter the European Parliament.
Peevski was second in DPS’s list at the European elections. The party will send 4 MEPs according to the latest preliminary results.
“I would like to pass my position to Mrs. Iskra Mihaylova (the current Minister of Environment). She will be a strong advocate of Bulgaria’s interests in the European Parliament. Meanwhile, I will contribute on a local level”, Peevski commented.
Delyan Peevski, a media mogul whose appointment as head of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) sparked a wave of anti-government protests in 2013, made his first appearance in front of cameras in months.
Earlier, the leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) Guy Verhofstadt, was critical of the nomination of Peevski for MEP. DPS is a member of ALDE in the European Parliament.
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session
- » EU Leaders Back Jean-Claude Juncker as EU Commission President
Mr. Peevsky apparently does not understand how elections work. He took the votes and gives them away. You cannot mislead voters in such a way. For my part, he can take his seat as an independent (nobody wants him there), and become the mutra joke of the EP.