Foreign Minister Vigenin: Italy Backs Bulgaria's Schengen Bid
Italy supports Bulgaria's Schengen bid, according to Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin.
Speaking Friday after a meeting with his Italian counterpart Federica Mogherini, Vigenin announced that Italy and Bulgaria would also work together on the implementation of the South Stream gas pipeline.
Vigenin, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio, made clear that Bulgaria had every reason to believe that the decision on its accession to the Schengen area could be taken in the autumn of 2014
He informed that Italy's Foreign Minister had vowed that the country would seek to convince member states of the need to approve Bulgaria's Schengen accession during the Italian Presidency of the Council of the European Union (July – December 2014).
Vigenin said that Mogherini had emphasized that Italy believed that Bulgaria was prepared to join the Schengen area and saw no reason for further postponement.
He said that the two had agreed on joint efforts to defend the implementation of the South Stream gas pipeline and to defend it against political attacks.
Vigenin reiterated that the postponed meeting between Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Bulgarian Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski would take place on May 28, adding that they would also discuss Bulgaria's Schengen bid.
- » Bulgaria Calls on Turkey to Start Implementing Readmission Agreement with EU
- » Swiss Parliament President to Visit Bulgaria Next Week
- » Energy Projects in Focus of Bulgarian, Russian Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
- » Bulgarian FM to Meet Lavrov at Black Sea Economic Cooperation Council
- » Bulgarian President Reaffirms Support for Ukraine’s European Future
- » Bulgaria Ready to Help Ukraine Build Closer Ties with EU, Borisov Tells Poroshenko
No EU country will approve Schengen status for Bulgaria given the level of corruption, a leaking border with Turkey that enables thousands of 'refugees' to flood into the country, and an incompetent commie government that is so famous for being the trojan horse of Russia that poor Oligarski is shunned by every EU leader.