Bulgarian Environmentalists Awarded New European Prize
The Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds has won the Natura 2000 prize, which is being awarded for the first time by the European Commission.
The award is given out in a few categories, with Nature Protection being the most contested one.
Actсvities dedicated to the preservation of the eastern imperial eagle in the Sakar mountain secured victory to the Bulgarian organization.
By impвementing a project which aims to insulate utility poles, the Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds is seeking to remove one of the biggest threats to the eastern imperial eagle.
Environmentalists have placed monitoring devices on 22 of the 42 young birds that have been hatched over the last 5 years in Bulgaria and that were born mostly in the Sakar mountain.
They found out that many representatives of this and other species die after being hit by electricity shock after landing on utility poles.
The eastern imperial eagles were once among the species with the largest population in Bulgaria, but nowadays their number has been reduced to 23 couples.
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today, Cliuds in the Afternood. Maximum Temperatures Between 35° and 40°
- » Code Yellow for Dangerously High Temperatures is in Force for 14 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Yellow Code for Heat in 16 Regions, Thunders Expected in 10
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » NIMH: Weather Will be Sunny, Max. Temperatures Between 26° and 31°