11 Bulgarians Arrested for Skimming Credit Cards
11 Bulgarians were arrested by the State Agency for National Security (DANS) for draining credit cards through skimming devices.
4 of the 11 Bulgarians who were arrested had European Arrest Warrant (EAW) issued against them, according to a media statement of DANS.
The arrests were made as part of an international operation codenamed "Lion" for neutralizing the activity of a crime group involved in fraudulent use of electronic payment instruments in Bulgaria and abroad.
The operation was conducted under the supervision of the specialized prosecuting authority, officials of DANS and the Interior Ministry, and representatives of the French authorities and Europol in coordination with Eurojust.
The crime group conducted its illegal activities on the territory of France and other EU countries, as well as in the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Investigative activities were conducted in the Bulgarian cities of Varna, Silistra, and Razgrad.
The authorities inspected 29 sites and found 3 laboratories for skimming equipment, all of them located in the Black Sea city of Varna.
The authorities seized a number of skimming devices, elements used to make skimming devices, laptops containing encrypted data, computers, mobile phones, SIM cards, memory cards, large sums of money in EUR and USD, etc.
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths
- » Three Bulgarians Detained over Death of 71 Migrants in Truck in Austria
- » Bulgarian-Hungarian Smuggling Ring Allegedly Involved in Refugee Truck Death in Austria
- » Police in Plovdiv Bust Printing House for Fake Documents