One Man Dead, Several Injured in Istanbul Clashes
A Turkish man who was shot in the head on Thursday during a police crackdown on protesters, has died of his injuries, the Istanbul governor said.
"Unfortunately we have not been able to save Ugur Kurt," Huseyin Avni Mutlu wrote on Twitter, several hours after the 30-year-old victim was brought to hospital.
Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc earlier said Kurt was attending a funeral ceremony in the Okmeydani district, when police tried to disperse around 50 people, who had gathered nearby to protest against the government.
According to Arinc, Kurt was hit in the head by a stray bulled, reportedly fired by police. Investigation is under way.
- » Greeks Reject Creditors’ Bailout Terms in Referendum - Partial Results
- » Turnout in Greek Bailout Referendum “Over 50%” – Interior Minister
- » 'No' Leads in Greece's Bailout Referendum with 15% of Votes Reported
- » ‘No’ Vote Appears to Be Leading in Greek Referendum After Voting Ends - Polls
- » Russian Space Freighter Carrying 2.4 T Cargo Docks with ISS
- » Tsipras: Greeks Determined to Take Control of Their Own Destiny in Referendum