At Least 11 Ukrainian Soldiers Killed in Donetsk – Report
At least 11 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed in the Donetsk region, the government stated.
The Defense Ministry said on its website that "terrorists" armed with automatic rifles and anti-tank weapons attacked a Ukrainian military checkpoint near the Volnovakha area, Donetsk Oblast. As a result of the shootout, 11 people were killed, while some 30 others were injured.
Russian media sources have also reported on the incident, suggesting the casualties were 15. They do not specify how many of them were soldiers and how many separatists.
For over a month, Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists have been fighting in the eastern provinces of the country. Donetsk and Luhansk declared self-independence in what were internationally unrecognized referendums.
Meanwhile, reports suggest that Russia is pulling out its military from the borders, in an attempt to de-escalate the tensions.
- » 38,000 Turks Abroad Cast Votes on First Day of Charter Referendum Voting
- » Theresa May Signs Article 50 Letter to Trigger Brexit
- » EU Leads Attacks on Trump's Rollback of Obama Climate Policy
- » EU Urges Hungary to Ensure Migrant Holding Camps Comply With Asylum Rules
- » Russia's FM: After Bulgaria's Elections, No One Is Talking About Russian Interference
- » Balkan Turks Federation To Sue Bulgaria