2 Candidates Vie for Head of Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office
The Supreme Judicial Council (VSS) will elect Thursday a new head of the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office, the biggest and the busiest unit of the prosecution.
The VSS panel will pick one of the two candidates, Petar Belchev, currently deputy head of the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office, and Asen Hristov, prosecutor at the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office.
The vacancy opened after the incumbent, Hristo Dinev, moved up one level in the hierarchy, becoming head of the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
The winner must be backed by at least 13 votes of VSS members.
A major problem which the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office faces is the fact that the prosecutors have been accommodated at three different buildings in Sofia due to the poor conditions at the Sofia Regional Court building.
Belchev has largely been tipped to win the post, according to sources close to the matter.
The Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office has a staff of around 180 prosecutors which supervised over 40 000 cases in 2013.
- » Regional Minister Expects No More Delays to Launch of Maritsa Motorway
- » Bulgaria's Nedelino Has New Mayor as Court Removes Former Holder
- » Bulgaria’s Environment Ministry Files BGN 180 000 Lawsuit against Concessionaire of Bansko Ski Zone
- » Bulgaria’s President Backs Judicial Reform through Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgarian Socialist Party to Try to Appeal New Debt of BGN 16 B at Constitutional Court
- » Increased Consumption of Cigarettes and Alcohol in Bulgaria