Artist Banksy Wins Webby Person of the Year Award
Organizers of the Webby Awards named the British graffiti artist Banksy the Webby Awards Person of the Year for his “Better Out than In” “exhibition” in New York last year.
According to media reports, Bansky, who maintains an air of secrecy around his personality, did not turn up at the awards ceremony in New York on Monday.
The award was given because of the important role the Internet plays in the dissemination of Banksy’s work, particularly in the case of the New York project. Much of Banky’s audience experiences his artwork online, through images posted on the artist’s website, or on social media.
Throughout October 2013, Banksy’s New York residency turned heads all over the city. Over 350 000 people followed the artist’s Instagram account, checking each day to find a newly unveiled piece somewhere within the five boroughs.
People who went to see the paintings in person often checked in on Foursquare or posted their own photos and videos of the works on social media platforms such as Tumblr, Vine, YouTube, and Twitter.
The Webbys, established in 1996 by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, are considered the Internet’s highest honor, recognizing the best in websites, online film and video, interactive advertising, interactive media, and mobile and social media. Banksy was selected as the winner from nearly 12 000 entries hailing from all 50 states and over 60 countries.
- » Bulgarian Movie Viktoria Released in the US
- » Preview of Game of Thrones Episode Featuring Zahari Baharov Now Released
- » Rudimental, Ella Eyre to Perform for Sofia Music Fans
- » Bulgaria's New Gallery Square 500 Opening Thursday
- » Hip Hop, Neo Soul Diva Lauryn Hill to Perform in Sofia
- » Azerbaijan’s Heydar Aliyev Foundation Donates BGN 2.5 M for Restoration of Trapezitsa Fortress