Artist Banksy Wins Webby Person of the Year Award
Organizers of the Webby Awards named the British graffiti artist Banksy the Webby Awards Person of the Year for his “Better Out than In” “exhibition” in New York last year.
According to media reports, Bansky, who maintains an air of secrecy around his personality, did not turn up at the awards ceremony in New York on Monday.
The award was given because of the important role the Internet plays in the dissemination of Banksy’s work, particularly in the case of the New York project. Much of Banky’s audience experiences his artwork online, through images posted on the artist’s website, or on social media.
Throughout October 2013, Banksy’s New York residency turned heads all over the city. Over 350 000 people followed the artist’s Instagram account, checking each day to find a newly unveiled piece somewhere within the five boroughs.
People who went to see the paintings in person often checked in on Foursquare or posted their own photos and videos of the works on social media platforms such as Tumblr, Vine, YouTube, and Twitter.
The Webbys, established in 1996 by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, are considered the Internet’s highest honor, recognizing the best in websites, online film and video, interactive advertising, interactive media, and mobile and social media. Banksy was selected as the winner from nearly 12 000 entries hailing from all 50 states and over 60 countries.
- » Valuable Ancient Jewelry Found in Private Home in Bulgaria's Nikopol
- » 8-century Old Church in Melnik Now Opens for Visitors
- » Ralitsa Petrova's ''Bezbog" Awarded at Prestigious Sarajevo Film Fest
- » Famous Israeli Musician Idan Raichel's Show Comes to Sofia Next Month
- » Sudanese Musician Alfateh Hussain to Visit Bulgaria with His Show
- » Bulgaria's Burgas Hosting Summer Chaos Festival on Saturday