Luis Enrique Named New Barcelona Coach
Luis Enrique will be FC Barcelona's new coach, starting in the summer, the club revealed.
The former Barcelona player will take over from Gerardo Martino, who struggled in his first season at the team and will not have his contract renewed.
Luis Enrique played 207 games for the Catalan club between 1996 – 2004. He also coached the Barcelona B team 2008 – 2011. The 44-year-old then went on to lead Roma and Celta Vigo.
Barcelona have struggled this season, losing the Spanish league title in the last match of the season to Atletico Madrid and faltering to the same opponent in the Champions League quarterfinals.
With Enrique's employment, the club decides to return to a proven model of allowing its former players to take the helm at a rather early managerial stage. This was the case with Pep Guardiola, who went on to become one of the most successful coaches in the team's history.
- » Bulgaria Loses to Belgium in Fed Cup
- » Bulgarian Head of State Demonstrates Football Skills at La Bombonera Stadium
- » Bulgaria Defeats Hungary, Latvia in Fed Cup
- » Bulgaria Drops to 75th Place in FIFA Ranking
- » Germany's Lothar Matthaus to Come to Sofia for Stoichkov's Birthday Show
- » ATP: Hard Work Behind Sofia Open Starting to Pay off