Luis Enrique Named New Barcelona Coach
Luis Enrique will be FC Barcelona's new coach, starting in the summer, the club revealed.
The former Barcelona player will take over from Gerardo Martino, who struggled in his first season at the team and will not have his contract renewed.
Luis Enrique played 207 games for the Catalan club between 1996 – 2004. He also coached the Barcelona B team 2008 – 2011. The 44-year-old then went on to lead Roma and Celta Vigo.
Barcelona have struggled this season, losing the Spanish league title in the last match of the season to Atletico Madrid and faltering to the same opponent in the Champions League quarterfinals.
With Enrique's employment, the club decides to return to a proven model of allowing its former players to take the helm at a rather early managerial stage. This was the case with Pep Guardiola, who went on to become one of the most successful coaches in the team's history.
- » Missed Opportunities and Poor Play in Defense Failed Ludogorets in Israel
- » Novak Djokovic will Not Play Again in 2017
- » Ludogorets's Road to Europe goes through Israel
- » It is Official Cristiano Ronaldo is Staying at Bernabeu
- » Grigor Dimitrov Remains Among the Top 10 in the World Tennis
- » Daniel Ivanov-Aoiyama Finishes 2nd in the Final of Nagoya Sumo Tournamen