Bulgarians Fear Energy Dependence, Refugee Influx – Poll
Some 39% of Bulgarians believe that the country's EU membership has been beneficial, 22% claim the opposite, and 31% see no difference, according to a new poll.
The opinion poll regarding the performance of Bulgaria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was conducted in the period 11-22 April among 1,400 people. Most respondents pointed out unemployment, low income, quality of health care and corruption as the main social issues.
Bulgarians remain positive in their attitude toward Germany, Russia, France and the UK and the results have been constant in the last 5-6 years.
In the last 2-3 months there has been increased fear due to the risk of regional and global crises that may have negative impact on Bulgaria, as well as due to a possible energy dependence of the country. The refugee influx as well as climate changes continue to worry Bulgarians. The older generation is afraid of a possible new Cold War between the West and Russia. The risk of international terrorism is another alarming issue, the poll has showed.
A total of 24% of the polled have evaluated Bulgaria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs' performance as good, 31% were neutral in their attitude, 19% were somewhat negative, and 26% could not say, BNGES reports.
Respondents approved of the protection of Bulgarian citizens abroad, the negotiations with Turkey regarding tighter control at the Bulgarian-Turkish border, as well as dealing with the refugee influx.
- » Cyclone "Albena" and the Snow are Going Away
- » The Actress Dafina Katsarska is One of the Two Women Found Dead in Plovdiv
- » Mother and a Daughter were Found Dead in Plovdiv
- » Extensive Guide for Upcoming Films in 2018 We are Excited About
- » Seamstresses from Dupnitsa Protest Because of Unpaid Wages
- » Precipitation to Continue in most of Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures from -1°C to 4°C