Bulgarian Migration Official Urges Changes in EU Immigration Rules
The head of Bulgaria's Refugee Agency Nikolai Chirpanliev urged for changes in the EU rules on refugees, reports the public broadcaster BNT.
He said it was not fair that the refugee waves are concentrated in just a few countries, while the rest don't share in the care of the refugees.
“Bulgaria, Cyprus, Malta, Italy want solidarity from the EC,” Chirpanliev said. “It's impossible that there are 15 EU countries who haven't accepted a single refugee, while we accept refugees outside of our capacity.”
According to Chirpanliev, since the start of the refugee crisis in Bulgaria in the autumn of 2013, 4500 people got refugee status. Another 2500 were refused and another 1000 are waiting for a status.
Meanwhile, the law enforcement agencies reported, that over the weekend the border police apprehended 88 trespassers of the border between Bulgaria and Turkey.
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°
- » Two dead, 18 injured in car accidents in last 24 hours
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » SpaceX delays Bulgaria Satellite Again, Plans 'Doubleheader'