Bulgarian Migration Official Urges Changes in EU Immigration Rules
The head of Bulgaria's Refugee Agency Nikolai Chirpanliev urged for changes in the EU rules on refugees, reports the public broadcaster BNT.
He said it was not fair that the refugee waves are concentrated in just a few countries, while the rest don't share in the care of the refugees.
“Bulgaria, Cyprus, Malta, Italy want solidarity from the EC,” Chirpanliev said. “It's impossible that there are 15 EU countries who haven't accepted a single refugee, while we accept refugees outside of our capacity.”
According to Chirpanliev, since the start of the refugee crisis in Bulgaria in the autumn of 2013, 4500 people got refugee status. Another 2500 were refused and another 1000 are waiting for a status.
Meanwhile, the law enforcement agencies reported, that over the weekend the border police apprehended 88 trespassers of the border between Bulgaria and Turkey.
- » The Weather Today Will be Sunny With Temperatures Between 25°C and 30°C
- » Today Is European 'No Elevators Day'
- » Mostly Sunny Today, Maximum Temperatures Between 20°C and 25°C
- » Bulgaria Ranks Lowest Among All EU Countries in Reporters Without Borders’ World Press Freedom Index
- » Employment Rate in Bulgaria Going Up
- » Two People Dead, One’s Life in Danger After Road Accidents in the Past Day