Tymoshenko Promises NATO Referendum, EU Bid
Ukrainian presidential candidate Yulia Tymoshenko has vowed to initiate a referendum on EU and NATO membership, if she is elected.
"We should decide where we are: either we are with the democratic world or we are with the post-Soviet empires. Following the elections, a bid will be filed for joining the European Union, and a referendum must be held to clearly determine our strategic future for years ahead" Tymoshenko said, quoted by Interfax agency.
On this topic, she criticized her main election opponent Petro Poroshenko for "rejecting NATO without asking the Ukrainian people".
When called upon by Tymoshenko to enter a live television debate, Poroshenko responded he would "not enter dialogue with anyone in the format of pre-paid shows". The candidate clarified that he would only appear in a debate ahead of a second round, if such is needed.
As it stands, the televised debate on May 23 will be between Yulia Tymoshenko, Sergiy Tigipko, and Valeriy Konovaliuk.
The first round of Ukraine's presidential elections is on Sunday.
- » Germanwings Co-pilot Hid Mental Illness from Employer - Prosecutors
- » Turkish President Erdogan Pledges Support for Saudi Arabia Military Operation
- » Crashed Germanwings Plane Co-Pilot Battled Depression, Media Reports Say
- » Airlines Implement Further Security Measures
- » Police Searches House of Germanwings Co-Pilot
- » Croatian Culture Minister Resigns Over Financial Irregularities