Tymoshenko Promises NATO Referendum, EU Bid
Ukrainian presidential candidate Yulia Tymoshenko has vowed to initiate a referendum on EU and NATO membership, if she is elected.
"We should decide where we are: either we are with the democratic world or we are with the post-Soviet empires. Following the elections, a bid will be filed for joining the European Union, and a referendum must be held to clearly determine our strategic future for years ahead" Tymoshenko said, quoted by Interfax agency.
On this topic, she criticized her main election opponent Petro Poroshenko for "rejecting NATO without asking the Ukrainian people".
When called upon by Tymoshenko to enter a live television debate, Poroshenko responded he would "not enter dialogue with anyone in the format of pre-paid shows". The candidate clarified that he would only appear in a debate ahead of a second round, if such is needed.
As it stands, the televised debate on May 23 will be between Yulia Tymoshenko, Sergiy Tigipko, and Valeriy Konovaliuk.
The first round of Ukraine's presidential elections is on Sunday.
- » 'Russian Elon Musk' Raped and Tortured to Death in Custody
- » Bashar Assad Returns Legion d’honneur to France
- » North and South Korea Open Hotline Between Leaders
- » The King of Swaziland Renames the Country 'the Kingdom of eSwatini'
- » Syrians in Turkey Continue to Return Home
- » Majority of Germans Want More Protection From Globalization