18 Arrested over Deadly Mine Explosion in Turkey
Police in Turkey have arrested 18 people in connection with last week's coal mine disaster in Soma.
Those detained on Sunday included two senior mining company executives.
The rescue operation at the mine ended on Saturday after the last two dead bodies were taken out.
The death toll in Turkey's worst mining disaster reached 301.
The mine complex exploded in flames on Tuesday, trapping 787 miners deep underground.
The reason for the explosion is still being investigated but mine operator Soma Holding has denied any negligence.
The deadly accident triggered a number of anti-government rallies across the country, including in the western city of Izmir, Istanbul and Ankara.
The local authorities in Soma banned demonstrations in the town center after violent clashes between riot police and protesters on Friday.
On Friday evening, students staged an occupation at the Istanbul Technical University's (ITU) Mining Engineering Faculty to protest the ties of the university to Soma Holding.
An official of the university subsequently announced that it had ended its ties with the owners of Soma Holding.
- » Ansbach Attacker 'Had Islamist Videos, Addressed IS'
- » Juncker Says Turkey 'In No Position' to be EU Member
- » Suicide Blast Outside Music Festival in Germany Leaves 12 Injured
- » Three-Way Summit to Lay Basis for Supplying Turkmen Gas to Europe
- » Migrants Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 242,000 so far in 2016 – IOM
- » Some 4,700 People Remanded in Custody in Turkey over Failed Coup Attempt
We can never tell when and where danger will strike, who would that be and what would they look like. We could also never know how will they hurt us. So all we need to do is to be prepare because everyone could be their victim. Good thing I heard about this application while surfing in the net, I subscribed myself right away after reading the features. Here, check it out. http://safekidzone.com/?a_aid=52f12fafd5de8