Turkey Ends Mine Rescue Operation, Death Toll at 301
Turkey has ended the Soma mine rescue operation with a final death toll of 301.
Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz announced that the last two bodies had been pulled out Saturday afternoon.
Almost all victims in Turkey's worst mine disaster have been identified, according to reports of the BBC News.
The mine complex exploded in flames on Tuesday, trapping 787 miners deep underground.
The reason for the explosion is being investigated but mine operator Soma Holding has denied any negligence.
The deadly accident triggered a number of anti-government rallies across the country, including in the western city of Izmir, Istanbul and Ankara.
The local authorities in Soma banned demonstrations in the town center after violent clashes between riot police and protesters on Friday.
- » US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel 'Stepping Down'
- » Turkey President Says Women Not Equal to Men
- » Ukraine Could Prepare for EU, NATO at Least 6 Years - President
- » French Jets Reinforce International Coalition Against IS
- » Lithuania to Supply Weaponry to Ukraine
- » US Army to Stay in Poland and the Baltic States Through 2015