Indian BJP Tipped for Landslide Victory in World's Biggest Elections
The Indian People's Party (known as the BJP) is set for a big win against the ruling National Congress in the world's biggest elections.
Ballot count suggests the opposition, led by the hugely popular Narendra Modi, is set for victory in at least 276 Parliament seats, compared to 49 seats for the Indian National Congress of the influential Neru-Gandhi dynasty, according to the Election Commission of the country as quoted by Al Jazeera.
Results for the 543 seats in total are to be announced later on Friday. Preliminary data, however, suggests the BJP will have a majority in the legislative body, or 272 lawmaker seats, which would give it the strongest mandate to rule India since the 1980s.
Ruling Congress, on the other hand, is to become an opposition party after ten years in power.
The new anti-corruption Aam Aadmi (Common Man's) Party could also make a breakthrough and have its representatives in Parliament.
A total of 814 million people were eligible to vote, and the scale of the event made it necessary that it be held in nine phases which continued four weeks.
The latest elections registered a record voter turnout of 66.38%, or 551 million ballots cast in favour of a candidate.
- » Fifteen Children and Two Women were Killed in an Air Strike in Eastern Ghouta
- » The European Elections will be Held Between 23 and 26 May Next Year
- » Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona, She was to Blame for the Crash (Updated)
- » Revolution: Women in Saudi Arabia will Choose how to Dress Themselves
- » EU Municipalities Today Are Applying For Wireless Internet Financing
- » Nicolas Sarkozy is Taken for Questioning in Relation to Investigation into the Funding of his Election Campaign