Indian BJP Tipped for Landslide Victory in World's Biggest Elections
The Indian People's Party (known as the BJP) is set for a big win against the ruling National Congress in the world's biggest elections.
Ballot count suggests the opposition, led by the hugely popular Narendra Modi, is set for victory in at least 276 Parliament seats, compared to 49 seats for the Indian National Congress of the influential Neru-Gandhi dynasty, according to the Election Commission of the country as quoted by Al Jazeera.
Results for the 543 seats in total are to be announced later on Friday. Preliminary data, however, suggests the BJP will have a majority in the legislative body, or 272 lawmaker seats, which would give it the strongest mandate to rule India since the 1980s.
Ruling Congress, on the other hand, is to become an opposition party after ten years in power.
The new anti-corruption Aam Aadmi (Common Man's) Party could also make a breakthrough and have its representatives in Parliament.
A total of 814 million people were eligible to vote, and the scale of the event made it necessary that it be held in nine phases which continued four weeks.
The latest elections registered a record voter turnout of 66.38%, or 551 million ballots cast in favour of a candidate.
- » Turkey Reportedly Threatened to Open to Migrants Its Border with EU
- » Bulgaria FM: EU 'to Launch Proceedings' against Greece over Border Blockade
- » Greece Giving 'No Information' on Border Blockade Hours
- » Canada to Stop Bombing IS, Stepping Up Training of Local Troops
- » Russia Detains Suspected IS Cell Plotting Attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg
- » Ilinden Crossing on Bulgaria-Greece Border Expected to Reopen at 10 p.m. Monday