Grigor Dimitrov Beats Berdych, Reaches Rome Quarterfinal
Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov defeated the world number 6 Tomas Berdych 6:7, 6:2, 6:2 and qualified for the quarterfinal of the Rome Masters.
The win came as a sweet revenge for last week’s loss against the same opponent in Madrid, and an early birthday present for Dimitrov, who turns 23 on Friday.
The first set was decided in a tie break, where Grigor led 3-1, but allowed his opponent to turn things around. This did not shake the confidence of the youngster, who came out extremely motivated in the second set. An early break, and it was all Dimitrov until the end.
Berdych proved a sturdy opponent in the last set, keeping things even until 2:2. After a long service game, the Czech was broken. It took even more points for Dimitrov to secure his lead. In the end, Berdych looked tired and was moving less quickly on the court. The Bulgarian used this to his advantage and reached one of his most prestigious wins in his career.
In the quarterfinals Dimitrov will play one of the veterans, 36-year old Tommy Haas from Germany.
- » Novak Djokovic will Not Play Again in 2017
- » Ludogorets's Road to Europe goes through Israel
- » It is Official Cristiano Ronaldo is Staying at Bernabeu
- » Grigor Dimitrov Remains Among the Top 10 in the World Tennis
- » Daniel Ivanov-Aoiyama Finishes 2nd in the Final of Nagoya Sumo Tournamen
- » Tsvetana Pironkova Will Have to Pass the Qualifiers of the US Open