At Least 8 People Die After Bangladesh Ferry Capsizes in Storm
At least eight people have died after a ferry carrying some 200 passengers capsized in a river near the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on Thursday.
The MV Miraj-4 capsized during a storm in the Munshiganj district as it travelled towards Shariatpur. Officials say the death toll is expected to rise, the BBC reports.
The local police and a rescue team are currently trying to locate the ferry which is completely underwater. A number of bodies have reportedly been recovered.
Ferry accidents are common on Bangladesh's river network and scores are killed every year, according to the BBC.
- » Merkel 'Proposed NATO Membership to Japan'
- » Die Welt: Six EU States Urge Extension of Schengen Internal Border Controls
- » Roaming Charges in EU Fall as of Saturday
- » Helicopter with Thirteen People on Board Crashes off Norway
- » Austria Adopts New Tougher Asylum Law
- » Suicide Bombing in Turkey’s Bursa Injures at least 13 People