Bulgarian Medical Workers Stage Protest against Funding Shortfall
Bulgarian healthcare workers across the country are staging a one-hour symbolic protest against the insufficient funding for the sector.
The protest is part of an EU-wide initiative aimed at demanding better working conditions, better pay for medical workers and an efficient fight against corruption in the sector.
Bulgarian doctors insist on an urgent update of the budget of the National Health Insurance Fund by May 30, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio.
If their demands are not met, the Bulgarian Medical Association plans to organize a nationwide protest, demanding the resignations of the Health Minister and of the National Health Insurance Fund Director.
The Bulgarian Medical Association has warned that the sector is headed towards disaster amid forecasts of a deficit of BGN 300 M by end-2014.
Doctors from all over the country have called on citizens to back their protest, stressing that it seeks to secure better medical service.
The protest, which starts at 12 noon, will not affect urgent medical service.
- » Introduction of Fingerprint Identification in Outpatient Sector Postponed
- » Flu Peak in Bulgaria Expected in April
- » Number of Doctors Leaving Bulgaria 'On Decline' - Ex-Min
- » Bird Flu: 63 Locations of Infections in Bulgaria
- » Flu Epidemic Declared in Two Bulgarian Towns
- » Flu Epidemic Starts 20-30 Days Earlier Than Predicted in Bulgaria