Bulgaria's GERB Approaches Const Court over 'President' Committee
Bulgarian opposition party GERB has filed a complaint with the Constitutional Court over a temporary committee set up by Parliament unofficially targeting the President.
Out of GERB's 94 MPs, 71 have signed the document claiming that the committee is violates the Constitution of Bulgaria, as Dariknews.bg reports.
Tsetska Tsacheva, who is the Deputy Chair of ex-Prime Minister Boyko Borisov's GERB (Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria), has argued that by establishing it lawmakers have made an infringement against the separation of powers.
She has reminded that Bulgaria's top court has already stated no hearings can be imposed by Parliament on the President except in cases of high treason or violation of the Constitution.
Bulgaria's Parliament approved on Thursday the creation of a committee assigned the task of investigating “the activities of the EDCs [electricity distribution companies] and the concessionaires and their unauthorized contacts with politicians".
Even though the officially adopted text does not target President Rosen Plevneliev, Ataka, who proposed the move, has repeatedly spoken in favour of looking into the President's visit.
The Committee has a three-month term and will be presided by Magdalena Tasheva, who has been among the Ataka's unofficial spokespeople regarding the activities of Plevneliev.
Bulgarian President's visit to Vienna, during which he held talks with EVN Bulgaria chairman Stefan Siskovic, coincided with the debt dispute between power distributors and DKEVR, with the latter claiming that they owe hundreds of millions of BGN to the National Electricity Company (NEK) and grid operators claiming it was vice versa.
- » Sofia Municipality Started Operation For Demolition Of Illegal Roma Homes in Sofia’s Neighbourhood ‘Zaharna Fabrika’
- » No Bulgarians Reported Injured in Italy Earthquake
- » Ministry of Interior and the Directorate of “Automobile Administration”Check Vehicles for Adherence to Traffic Rules
- » Man Threatened with a Knife Emergency Care Team in Sofia
- » 149 Illegal Roma Houses are being Destroyed in Sofia's Zaharna Fabrika Quarter
- » Sofia Municipality Will Start Marking Dangerous Trees in Borisova Garden in Sofia