Dimitar Berbatov Outraged by Election Campaign Flyer
Bulgarian footballer Dimitar Berbatov reacted critically to the incident involving the use of his image for political campaigning.
Over the past several days, flyers with the Monaco player's photo and the number 29 ticked in a circle have been handed around the southern city of Svilengrad. This is the number on the EU Elections ballot corresponding to the Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), a predominantly ethnic Turkish party.
"My name is well known in the world of football. I represent Monaco, and I also have a charity foundation. These are the things I stand behind. Should I decide to represent any other cause, I will do so in the appropriate manner, by making it public and official. Any other attempt to use my name and image without my approval is an unacceptable and irresponsible act", the former Manchester United player wrote on his Facebook account.
The local office of DPS denied having printed the flyers, but were aware of their existence.
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session
- » EU Leaders Back Jean-Claude Juncker as EU Commission President