GERB to Submit No-Confidence Motion against Bulgarian Govt on Friday
Center-right party GERB will submit a no-confidence motion over the failed energy policy of the Bulgarian socialist-led government on Friday.
The step was announced by Boyko Borisov, former Prime Minister and leader of the party, during consultations with representatives of the right-wing formation The Reformist Bloc on energy.
Radan Kanev from The Reformist Bloc noted that the no-confidence motion would be a crucial test for liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) as the formation would show whether their stance on the EU or their corporate interests was more important.
Kanev, as cited by the BGNES news agency, suggested that they had obtained data under the Access to Public Information Act which pointed to a huge corruption affair related to the South Stream gas pipeline project.
He said that there was also sufficient evidence of abuse by people with economic clout.
Borisov underscored that he was not opposed to the South Stream gas pipeline, provided that it was built in line with EU laws, adding that the scheme would fetch transit fee receipts no earlier than 22 years.
He claimed that Bulgaria had numerous gas fields and there was no need to import expensive gas.
The leader of the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) party complained that the government had failed to provide them with the balance sheets of energy companies on the grounds that they had not been completed.
Borisov also drew attention to the fact that the government was building unit 7 of the Kozloduy NPP being built without a competition for the technology of the reactor.
He stressed that it was an unprecedented move for Bulgaria to decide on building an N-plant unit without a competition, adding that there were also suspicions that the Belene NPP case was deliberately being sabotaged.
- » Bulgaria's PM 'Not Commenting' Reports of Parliament Speaker's Presidential Nomination
- » EU Commission VP Accepts UN Top Job Nomination from Bulgaria
- » Rosen Zhelyazkov Appointed Head of Bulgarian Electronic Management Agency
- » BSP, Lyava Balgariya To Start Discussions On Non-Confidence Vote
- » DPS Leader Karadayi: Georgieva's Nomination For UN Secretary General Is Very Superficial Move
- » Bulgarian President Plevneliev Calls For Unity On New UN Secretary Nomination