Sofia Airport Registers Significant Increase of Passengers in April
Sofia Airport handled a total of 305,944 passengers in April, which marked an increase of 10.4% compared to the same month of 2013.
The number of passengers on international scheduled flights increased by 11% and reached 289,282 people. The national air carrier Bulgaria Air recorded a 13% growth of serviced passengers thus preserving its leading position, the Sofia Airport informed. The renewed early morning flights of Lufthansa to Frankfurt handled more than 4 thousand passengers in April only.
After the introduction of the summer timetable, a number of carriers increased their Sofia flight capacity which immediately reflected on the number of handled passengers. The Polish LOT now flies 11 times a week and has recorded an increase of passengers by 50% in April 2014 compared to the same month of 2013. Qatar Airways saw a 38% increase of passengers, and the Israeli carrier El Al – 32%.
Passengers on charter flights increased by 1,334 compared to April 2013, and reached 4,000 due to the Easter holidays which in 2014 were in April.
Domestic flights recorded a decrease of 6% compared to April 2013 with a total of 11,929 passengers serviced in April 2014.
An increase of 2.5% was reported in aircraft movements in April 2014, compared to the same month of 2013 – a total of 3,448 aircraft departed and landed during that period.
The increase was achieved mainly via international scheduled flights with Bulgaria Air as market leader and a 17% increase, while the group of foreign air carriers achieved an increase of 9% on annual basis.
A total of 1,479 tonnes of cargo and mail shipments were processed in April 2014 which is a decrease of 3.8% compared to April 2013.
- » 400 Small Photovoltaic Plants in Bulgaria May Go Out of Business by October
- » Bulgaria’s Government Debt Dips Slightly in June
- » Bulgarian Commission Head: Retail Prices Will Add 1-1.5% due to Power Price Hike
- » Bulgaria’s PM: At least ½ of Hemus Motorway Will Be Ready by End of Term in Office
- » 1.7 Million Bulgarians to Spend 2015 Summer Holidays at Domestic Resorts
- » 5km Long Section of Bulgaria’s Hemus Motorway Opens for Traffic