UKIP Blames PM Cameron for 'Opening Door to Bulgarians'
The anti-immigrant UK Independence Party (UKIP) has lambasted PM David Cameron over what it calls a pro-European policy "opening [the UK's] to Bulgarians and Romanians."
A UKIP statement quoted by the Bulgarian national Radio was in response to the Prime Minister's comments on Thursday.
Cameron said on the BBC that "politics of the answer rather than the politics of anger" were necessary in Britain and also that UKIP had a "totally unrealistic, pessimistic version about what this country can achieve".
In response, a UKIP spokesman said that "all David Cameron has delivered on the EU is open-door immigration from Romania and higher British budget contributions."
He added that Cameron seemed to "lack the courage" for a debate with UKIP leader Nigel Farage.
Verbal standoffs of UKIP with the ruling Tories, but also with the opposition Labour Party, have been more frequent in the run-up to this May's European Elections.
UKIP and its controversial leader Nigel Farage have put huge effort to persuade voters that immigration into Britain must be curbed (especially after the labor market was opened for Bulgarians and Romanians on January 1, 2014). They have insisted that starting from this year, "29 million" Bulgarians and Romanians could come to the UK to seek jobs and drain social benefits and this poses a threat to the British people.
They also argue that London should take back from Brussels some of its governing competences.
Despite condemnation of UKIP by mainstream parties, recent polls predict a victory to Farage, with the Sunday Times estimating 29% support for him at the European elections. This could also pave UKIP the way for next year's general elections in the United Kingdom.
- » The EU Grants BGN 111 Million to Replace Solid Fuel Stoves and Heaters in 21 Bulgarian Cities
- » Producers of the Famous Bulgarian Rose Protest Because of the Low Purchase Price
- » First Comments from Euroleaders at the EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » Virtual Reality – The future of European industry at WATIFY: Inspire to Transform
- » The best WATIFY Technological Transformation for 2018 is…
- » Minister of EC Presidency Pavlova: We will Investigate the Spending of EU Funds