Parliament to Discuss Deputy Speaker Resignation Proposal
Bulgarian lawmakers started work on Friday with a debate over opposition GERB's proposal that Deputy Parliament Speaker Maya Manolova resign.
Former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov's Citizens of European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) demanded Thursday that Manolova, a ruling socialist MP, step down as Deputy Speaker for "neglecting the opposition in the [parliamentary] hall", as Dariknews.bg reports.
This is the second attempt by GERB to remove Manolova from office, after ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) and Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) and ultra-nationalist Ataka blocked a similar motion in December last year.
Apart from being the Parliament's Deputy Speaker, Maya Manolova is known for being the most loquations lawmaker, with 21 hours at the rostrum in less than a year.
She was actively involved in the preparation of a new Election Code, which divided opinions of politicians months ahead of the EU vote.
- » Bulgaria to Spend BGN 24 M on Providing All Citizens with State Emails
- » Bulgaria Opposition Submits No-Confidence Motion over Healthcare Policies
- » Bulgaria Plans Deeper Army Involvement in Guarding of Borders
- » Bulgaria MPs Grant National Security Body Right to Process Passengers Flight Data
- » Ex-Leader of Bulgaria's DPS Reveals Details on New Political Party
- » Bulgarian PM Appoints Deputy Education Minister