Parliament to Discuss Deputy Speaker Resignation Proposal
Bulgarian lawmakers started work on Friday with a debate over opposition GERB's proposal that Deputy Parliament Speaker Maya Manolova resign.
Former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov's Citizens of European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) demanded Thursday that Manolova, a ruling socialist MP, step down as Deputy Speaker for "neglecting the opposition in the [parliamentary] hall", as Dariknews.bg reports.
This is the second attempt by GERB to remove Manolova from office, after ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) and Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) and ultra-nationalist Ataka blocked a similar motion in December last year.
Apart from being the Parliament's Deputy Speaker, Maya Manolova is known for being the most loquations lawmaker, with 21 hours at the rostrum in less than a year.
She was actively involved in the preparation of a new Election Code, which divided opinions of politicians months ahead of the EU vote.
- » Bulgaria Justice Ministry Uploads Judicial Reform Proposal
- » Blast Rocks Ukraine President's Confectionery Chain Store
- » Bulgaria Justice Minister to Unveil Judicial Reform Proposals
- » Bulgaria’s Parliament Sets Up Ad Hoc Committee on Draft Constitutional Amendments
- » Bulgarian Government Establishes National Anti-Corruption Council
- » Bulgarian Socialist Opposition Refuses Heading Constitutional Changes Committee