Bulgaria PM Oresharski Downplays Chief of Staff Indictment
Prosecuting Authority's charges against Bulgaria PM's cabinet chief Maria Divizieva have "nothing to do with the government's activity", Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski said.
Oresharski added it was "just an indictment" and the case dated years back could not be referred to the present political situation or to Divizieva's activity as Chief of Staff, according to the Bulgaria CROSS agency.
Asked whether he would dismiss Divizieva, who is currently on one-month leave until end of May, Bulgaria's Prime Minister was quoted as explaining that she needed to be given "an opportunity to examine the charges "against her".
He also said a decision would be taken after her leave depending on the "essence of the charges".
Earlier on Thursday, Divizieva was indicted in relation to EU funds abuse allegations.
A scandal broke in mid-April after reports of a fraud scheme involving the Administrative Capacity Operational Program emerged and triggered charges against Veselin Pengezov, Chair of the Sofia Appellate Court and Petar Petkov, Chair of the Military Appellate Court.
This was the result of an investigation launched in 2010 into the setting up of an information system for the military courts in 2009, when Pengezov headed the Military Appellate Court.
According to the prosecution, Maria Dizivieva helped to backdate documents for the EU funds allocation under the project, as she was in charge of the operational program's management back then.
Divizieva has described the allegations as "a misunderstanding" and has expressed hopes that the matter will be settled "quickly... objectively and impartially" by the Prosecuting Authority.