Bulgaria's EU Funds Absorption Is Improving – EC Official
Bulgaria has registered progress in EU funds absorption, according to Shirin Wheeler, Spokesperson for Johannes Hahn, European Commissioner for Regional Policy.
Wheeler, as cited by the Bulgarian telegraph Agency (BTA), said at a press conference in Brussels that the EU was working closely with Bulgaria authorities to assist them in the sphere of EU funds absorption.
She specified that the capacity of the administration related to EU funds absorption remained a major problem despite the progress.
She also pointed out that Bulgaria was taking advantage of the rule allowing for a period of three more years for absorbing the funding under the EU budget by 2014.
Asked to comment on allegations of Bulgarian politicians that Bulgaria was contributing more to the EU budget than it was getting back, she said that it was not the first time she was hearing this and assured that this was not the case in the sphere of the EU's cohesion policy.
"Bulgaria is known to have problems in EU funds absorption. The problems are substantial and they could contribute to the development of the country. The situation is improving," Wheeler was quoted as saying.
- » EC Takes Bulgaria to Court over Insufficient Protection of Endangered Birds
- » Bulgarian Army Ready to Boost Assistance to Police in Border Protection, Def Min Says
- » EU Asks Bulgaria to Comply with Rules for Energy Consumption of Buildings
- » EC Requests Bulgaria to Ensure Level Playing Field for Groundhandling Service Providers at Sofia Airport
- » Bulgaria Detains 56 Migrants Trying to Illegally Cross Into Serbia
- » Bulgarians 'Would Vote Remain' If Asked - Poll