Bulgaria's EU Funds Absorption Is Improving – EC Official
Bulgaria has registered progress in EU funds absorption, according to Shirin Wheeler, Spokesperson for Johannes Hahn, European Commissioner for Regional Policy.
Wheeler, as cited by the Bulgarian telegraph Agency (BTA), said at a press conference in Brussels that the EU was working closely with Bulgaria authorities to assist them in the sphere of EU funds absorption.
She specified that the capacity of the administration related to EU funds absorption remained a major problem despite the progress.
She also pointed out that Bulgaria was taking advantage of the rule allowing for a period of three more years for absorbing the funding under the EU budget by 2014.
Asked to comment on allegations of Bulgarian politicians that Bulgaria was contributing more to the EU budget than it was getting back, she said that it was not the first time she was hearing this and assured that this was not the case in the sphere of the EU's cohesion policy.
"Bulgaria is known to have problems in EU funds absorption. The problems are substantial and they could contribute to the development of the country. The situation is improving," Wheeler was quoted as saying.
- » Bulgaria, Romania 'Not Closing In on Rest of EU'
- » CoE Warns of ‘Dwindling Trust’ in Institutions
- » Bulgaria's Employment Rate Increased by 2 % Y/Y in 2015 - Eurostat
- » Bulgaria Allowed to Finish 3rd Metro Line, Sofia Ring Road with EU Money
- » Bulgaria Calls for Equal Access to EU’s Entry-Exit System for All Member States
- » Bulgaria Signs Istanbul Convention on Preventing Violence Against Women