EU Wants One Price For Russian Gas
The EU wants a uniform price for Russian natural gas for all its member states, said Energy Commissioner Gunther Oettinger on Friday.
Oettinger had a meeting with Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk who lobbies for the idea of an EU energy union.
"We want a uniform gas price in the European common market," Oettinger said at the joint news conference with Tusk, quoted by news wires.
Oettinger also said that Europe should have pan-European grids for natural gas and electricity, including more power links between countries, more liquefied natural gas terminals and more diversification with partners such as Norway.
Currently the EU member states buy gas from Russia based on bilateral agreements and pay different prices.
A common bulk purchase would give the EU more leverage in the negotiations with Russia.
“The prices vary a lot,” Oettinger said. “The larger the share of Russian gas, the larger the Russian monopoly on orders and the higher the prices.”
- » CGN shows interest in Bulgaria's Belene Project
- » Bulgaria, Azerbaijan to Discuss Expansion of Trade, Economic Links Next Month
- » Bulgargaz Proposes 3.4% Increase of Gas Price for Q4 2016
- » Bulgaria PM: Belene N-Plant Should Be Built Privately with State Help
- » South Stream, Turkish Stream Are No Rival Projects - Russia Energy Min
- » Putin Demands from Bulgaria 'Rock-Solid Guarantee' for South Stream