Russia Is Now An Adversary – NATO Official
After two decades of trying to build a partnership with Russia, NATO now feels compelled to start treating Moscow as an adversary, NATO's second ranking official said Thursday.
“Clearly the Russians have declared NATO as an adversary, so we have to begin to view Russia no longer as a partner but as more of an adversary than a partner,” said Alexander Vershbow, the deputy secretary-general of NATO, quoted by The Washington Post.
In a question-and-answer session with a small group of reporters, Vershbow said Russia’s annexation of Crimea and its apparent manipulation of unrest in eastern Ukraine have fundamentally changed the NATO-Russia relationship.
“In central Europe, clearly we have two different visions of what European security should be like,” Vershbow, a former US diplomat and onetime Pentagon official, said. “We still would defend the sovereignty and freedom of choice of Russia’s neighbors, and Russia clearly is trying to re-impose hegemony and limit their sovereignty under the guise of a defense of the Russian world.”
In April, NATO suspended all “practical civilian and military cooperation” with Russia, although Russia has maintained its diplomatic mission to NATO, which was established in 1998.
- » Bulgarian PM Calls on World Leaders to Solve Refugee Crisis
- » Bulgaria’s Tsetska Tsacheva To Participate in 4th World Conference of Speakers of Parliament
- » Troops Sent to Help Patrol Bulgaria-Macedonia Border Only Have Monitoring Functions
- » Bulgaria Lacks Progress in Fight against Corruption – US Interim Chargé d'Affaires
- » Deputy PM Kuneva to Discuss Bulgaria’s Bid to Join Schengen on Finland Visit
- » Bulgarian FM: Relations with Russia Are Not in Such Bad Shape
So because they don't accept a coup-installed government that removed the legal government elected by Russians in Ukraine, removed Russian language rights n trampling all over their rights and now bearing down on their homes with tanks. Because Russia doesn't think that's ok, they are now an enemy? It seems that because west didn't loose the cold war, the people with cold war thinking are still in place, no change in system so no change in people.
West is stuck in 20th century!