IMF Approves USD 17 B Loan to Ukraine
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved a USD 17.1 B bailout for Ukraine to help the country's economy.
The loan is dependent on strict economic reforms, including raising taxes and energy prices.
The money will be released over two years, with the first installment of USD 3.2 B available immediately.
The head of the IMF, Christine Lagarde, said the IMF would check regularly to ensure the Ukrainian government followed through on its commitments.
In March Ukraine put up gas prices by 50% in an effort to secure the bailout.The government has also agreed to freeze the minimum wage.
The bailout had to be approved by the IMF's 24-member board, which includes a Russian representative.
The IMF loan will also unlock further funds worth USD 15 B from other donors, including the World Bank, EU, Canada and Japan.
- » Three-Way Summit to Lay Basis for Supplying Turkmen Gas to Europe
- » Migrants Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 242,000 so far in 2016 – IOM
- » Some 4,700 People Remanded in Custody in Turkey over Failed Coup Attempt
- » Turkish Airlines to Maintain Normal Operations during Emergency Rule
- » France Charges Five Suspects over Nice Truck Attack
- » EU’s Mogherini Calls on Turkey to Respect Human Rights during Emergency Rule
The Ukraine owes 20 billion Euros to Western banks and 9 billion has to be paid back this year.
So the IMF is taking it from Western tax payers, giving it to the Ukraine who can then pay the Western banks.
The priority in the West is to protect its banks because without this IMF money to the Ukraine they would not get paid.
Who pays firstly the tax payers in the West and then the Ukranian people through higher taxes, higher energy costs and government cutbacks.
So the poor in the Ukraine will pay big to keep Western millionaire bankers in their well funded jobs.
The releasing of the money in stages by the IMF can be timed to match the repayment schedule to Western banks.
This is one of the reasons that the West needs a pro western government in Kiev to make sure the bank loans to the West get paid.