Blacklisted Russian Parliament Speaker Will Not Visit Bulgaria
The visit of Sergei Narishkin, Speaker of Russia's Parliament, to Bulgaria has been cancelled, Bulgarian authorities confirmed on Wednesday.
A spokesperson for Bulgaria's Foreign Ministry cited as a reason Narishkin's presence into the European list of personal sanctions against Russian officials which was adopted over the stance of Moscow on the Ukraine crisis, as the Bulgarian public broadcaster BNR reports.
Narishkin's visit, which was previously scheduled to take place from May 6 to May 8, drew criticism at the government, which was first reluctant to withdraw the arrangement.
Officials later reminded that decisions adopted by the Council of the European Union are mandatory for EU member states.
Parties like Ataka, which has openly embraced a pro-Russian position, objected to the ruling and insisted the event should take place as it is planned.
- » Ukrainian Ambassador to Bulgaria Calls for Greater Consolidation, Consistency in Western Sanctions against Russia
- » Bulgaria's President Plevneliev: Turkey Is Very Important To Us
- » Bulgaria's President to Attend Erdogan's Inauguration in Ankara
- » Bulgaria, US Hope for Positive Results from Four-Way Ukraine Talks
- » Russia Sends Protest Note to Bulgaria Over Soviet Monument Desecration
- » Bulgaria Tightens Control over Honorary Consuls