Blacklisted Russian Parliament Speaker Will Not Visit Bulgaria
The visit of Sergei Narishkin, Speaker of Russia's Parliament, to Bulgaria has been cancelled, Bulgarian authorities confirmed on Wednesday.
A spokesperson for Bulgaria's Foreign Ministry cited as a reason Narishkin's presence into the European list of personal sanctions against Russian officials which was adopted over the stance of Moscow on the Ukraine crisis, as the Bulgarian public broadcaster BNR reports.
Narishkin's visit, which was previously scheduled to take place from May 6 to May 8, drew criticism at the government, which was first reluctant to withdraw the arrangement.
Officials later reminded that decisions adopted by the Council of the European Union are mandatory for EU member states.
Parties like Ataka, which has openly embraced a pro-Russian position, objected to the ruling and insisted the event should take place as it is planned.
- » Joe Biden to Try Talking Turkey's Erdogan into Fighting IS
- » Obama Congratulates Borisov on Re-election as Bulgarian PM
- » Irina Bokova Is Likely Nominee For UN Head – French Media
- » Bulgaria Concerned over Escalating Jerusalem Tensions
- » Presidents of Bulgaria, Poland Back EU Energy Union
- » Bulgaria Condemns Jerusalem Synagogue Attack