Blacklisted Russian Parliament Speaker Will Not Visit Bulgaria
The visit of Sergei Narishkin, Speaker of Russia's Parliament, to Bulgaria has been cancelled, Bulgarian authorities confirmed on Wednesday.
A spokesperson for Bulgaria's Foreign Ministry cited as a reason Narishkin's presence into the European list of personal sanctions against Russian officials which was adopted over the stance of Moscow on the Ukraine crisis, as the Bulgarian public broadcaster BNR reports.
Narishkin's visit, which was previously scheduled to take place from May 6 to May 8, drew criticism at the government, which was first reluctant to withdraw the arrangement.
Officials later reminded that decisions adopted by the Council of the European Union are mandatory for EU member states.
Parties like Ataka, which has openly embraced a pro-Russian position, objected to the ruling and insisted the event should take place as it is planned.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister Expresses Condolences After Terrorist Attack in Barcelona
- » 2 Bulgarians Wanted by Bulgarian Consulate in Madrid
- » U.S. Has Agreed Not to Take Military Action Against North Korea Without 1st Getting South Korea’s Approval
- » Vucic-Trump Meeting Could Happen by End of 2017
- » Bejing: There are Indications that the Tensions on the Korea Peninsula is Decreasing
- » Bulgarian President Rumen Radev to Visit the United States in September, 2017