Blacklisted Russian Parliament Speaker Will Not Visit Bulgaria
The visit of Sergei Narishkin, Speaker of Russia's Parliament, to Bulgaria has been cancelled, Bulgarian authorities confirmed on Wednesday.
A spokesperson for Bulgaria's Foreign Ministry cited as a reason Narishkin's presence into the European list of personal sanctions against Russian officials which was adopted over the stance of Moscow on the Ukraine crisis, as the Bulgarian public broadcaster BNR reports.
Narishkin's visit, which was previously scheduled to take place from May 6 to May 8, drew criticism at the government, which was first reluctant to withdraw the arrangement.
Officials later reminded that decisions adopted by the Council of the European Union are mandatory for EU member states.
Parties like Ataka, which has openly embraced a pro-Russian position, objected to the ruling and insisted the event should take place as it is planned.
- » Bulgaria Counts on Austria's Support for Schengen Bid - PM
- » Bulgaria, Austria Back South Stream Project Compliant With EU Law
- » Austria's President Heinz Fischer To Visit Bulgaria
- » Kosovo President Receives Bulgaria's Ambassador for Farewell Visit
- » Bulgaria’s President to Attend 10th Asia-Europe Meeting in Milan
- » Government Dismisses Bulgaria's Honorary Consul In Ukraine