Rain Continues to Grip Bulgaria, Code Yellow in Northwest
Code Yellow, for potentially hazardous weather, has been issued in two Bulgarian regions – Montana and Vratsa.
Intensive rain showers are expected throughout the day in northwestern Bulgaria, with the possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon. In the higher areas of the Rila and Pirin mountains the rain could turn into snow, the National Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology reported. Drivers are advised to be cautious for limited visibility there.
Meteorologists predict a rainier May than usual, with slightly lower temperatures than average, especially in the first half of the month.
The intensive rainfall over the past weeks has caused floods in parts of northern Bulgaria, which have claimed several lives so far.
- » Bulgaria’s Smolyan Municipality Declares State of Emergency over Heavy Rain
- » Summer Floods Caused Damages Amounting to EUR 400 M
- » Bulgarian Customs Prevent Smuggling of Two Million European Eels
- » Mountain Rescuers Warn of Avalanches in Ski Resorts, Frostbite
- » Extreme Cold, Strong Winds Grip Bulgaria for New Year
- » Code Yellow Warning in Bulgaria for Snow, Gale-Force Winds