EU Adds 15 Russians to Sanctions List
The European Union put Russian Deputy Premier Dmitry Kozak on an expanded sanctions list, joining the US in protesting Russia's actions in Ukraine.
As agreed at the Foreign Affairs Council of 14 April, the Council has expanded the list of persons subject to targeted sanctions for actions undermining Ukraine's territorial integrity sovereignty and independence, a statement in the official journal of the European Union said.
A total of 15 additional persons have been targeted with a travel ban and a freeze of their assets within the EU. This brings the total number of persons subject to sanctions in connection with Ukraine's territorial integrity to 48.
The list released Tuesday includes Gen. Valery Gerasimov, chief of the Russian General Staff, and Lt. Gen. Igor Sergun, identified as head of GRU, the Russian military intelligence agency.
Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak and pro-Russian separatist leaders in Crimea and the eastern Ukrainian cities of Lugansk and Donetsk were also on the list.
Russia's Foreign Ministry has criticized the latest set of EU sanctions. "Instead of forcing the Kiev clique to sit at the table with southeastern Ukraine to negotiate the future structure of the country, our partners are doing Washington's bidding with new unfriendly gestures aimed at Russia," a statement said, as cited by Itar-Tass.
The EU move comes after the United States announced further sanctions against Russia on Monday.
The new measures will affect seven Russian government officials, including two members of President Putin's inner circle, who will be subject to an asset freeze and a US visa ban, and 17 companies linked to Putin's inner circle, which will be subject to an asset freeze.
- » Gunfight Between Security Forces, Armed Group Kills at Least 43 in Mexico
- » IS Claims Responsibility for Suicide Attack on Shiite Mosque in Saudi Arabia
- » Russia Warns Google, Twitter, Facebook of Possible Blocking of Services
- » At Least 30 Casualties as Suicide Bomber Targets Shia Mosque in Saudi Arabia
- » Kristalina Georgieva Appointed Co-Chair to UN Humanitarian Financing Panel
- » David Cameron Vows to Seize Pay of Illegal Migrants Working in UK