Police Arrest 18-Year-Old Boy for Double Murder in Southern Bulgaria
An 18-year-old student was arrested on Sunday for the double murder of a 24-year-old mother and her 7-year-old daughter in the southern Bulgarian town of Dzhebel.
On Saturday, the dead bodies of the 24-year-old Dzheylyan Yusuf and her 7-year-old daughter Dzheida were discovered in the apartment in which they were living, according to reports of Darik radio.
The suspect, Mert Mehmed, was arrested shortly after midnight and will remain in custody for 72 hours, according to reports of the police department in Kardzhali.
He has been charged with murder characterized by exceptional brutality.
Pre-trial proceedings under the supervision of the district prosecuting authority in Kardzhali are underway.
According to locals, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio, the suspect and the woman were close friends and the double murder was committed for money.
They said that the parents of the woman had been living in Germany for a long time, sending money back to Bulgaria to ensure better living standards for their daughter and granddaughter.
The 18-year-old boy was allegedly a drug addict in need of money.
According to unconfirmed reports, Mert Mehmed made a full confession.
- » Last-Instance Court to Sit on Bulgarian Ex Spy Chief's 10-Year Sentence
- » Bulgaria Handed over 72 Turkish Nationals in 2016
- » Bulgarian Border Police Officers Taken into Custody amid Corruption Charges
- » Arrested Syrian Albakir Planned To Attack Berlin Airport
- » Turkish Citizen Arrested With 30 Kg of Heroin
- » Bulgarian Police Find 65 Migrants Hiding in Cargo Train