Bulgarian President Calls for Clean Election Campaign
Bulgaria's President Rosen Plevneliev urged political parties to engage in a constructive dialogue during the European elections campaign, which began on Friday.
"I call on all candidates to conduct a meaningful and qualitative debate for the European Parliament elections. The Bulgarian people deserve this, instead of a smear campaign as it has been in the past", Plevneliev said in his address.
According to the head of state, these elections may turn out to be the most important in the history of the European Union and determine its future course.
"We must ask ourselves the question, where do we want to be 5 years from now. Bulgaria must be an active participant in the European debate, rather than a passive onlooker", Plevneliev affirmed.
The President added that politicians should be realistic in what promises they make. They must also be more attentive in listening to what exactly the Bulgarian people want from them as representatives to Brussels.
The challenge ahead of the European Union is to make sure it does not split into a core and periphery, Plevneliev stressed.
- » Bulgarian Electoral Commission Starts Registration for Early Elections
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session