Rising Rivers Flood Villages in NW Bulgaria
Heavy rainfall has prompted a state of emergency in 2 northwestern municipalities of Bulgaria.
The municipalities of Chuprene and Ruzhintsi in the Vidin region have been the most affected by the intense rain in the past days. The nearby dam in Gyurgich overflowed on Wednesday night, but is reportedly under control now, Dariknews revealed.
In Georgi Damyanovo, Montana region, several streets were flooded after the Ogosta River's waters rose by a meter in just an hour. Agricultural land has also been affected, but all the people in the village are safe.
The Lom River has also risen rapidly, flooding some homes in the Gorni Lom village. Vratsa and Lovech have also been affected.
On Thursday, Bulgaria's Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov assured that the municipal dams are not in risk of overflowing as a result of the intense rain.
The showers are expected to carry on until Saturday morning.
- » The Weather Today Will be Sunny With Temperatures Between 25°C and 30°C
- » Mostly Sunny Today, Maximum Temperatures Between 20°C and 25°C
- » Until 17:00h on April 27, Transit Through the Vitinya Tunnel on Hemus Motorway Is Stopped
- » Antarctica: Preparation For 26th Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition Started
- » Code Yellow Over Strong Wind in 12 Regions In Bulgaria
- » The Temperatures Go Up