Russian Bombers 'Approached NATO Airspace'
UK's Royal Airforce chased away two Russian bombers that flew close to the country's airspace.
The incident with the aircraft, which were spotted near northeastern Scotland on Wednesday, followed the arrival of a Russian warship off the coast of Britain, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported.
Dutch army Major Wilko Ter Horst, who spoke for CNN after it was revealed F-16 fighter jets of the Netherlands had also intercepted one of the planes, underscored Wednesday's developments were part of "routine [military] exercises", and there was "nothing unusual" about the event.
Heightened tensions between the West and Russia over the situation in Ukraine have however increased both NATO's fears of a possible military aggression by Moscow and the Kremlin's warnings against any moves it might consider a more serious provocation.
- » NATO to Station Ship Command Centre near Bulgaria's Varna
- » Bulgaria Defense Ministry 'to Lay Off 4600' over Budget Shortfall
- » 7306 Bulgarian Military Reservists Summoned Since Start of 2015
- » Turkish Intelligence Warns of Jihadists Passing Through Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Deputy PM Attends Forum on Countering Foreign Fighters
- » Poland Ready to Service Bulgarian MiG-29 Fighters, Defence Minister Siemoniak Says